Just like dogs, cats, and any other pet you may have, miniature pigs can gain a few too many pounds. And, because pigs love food, this can be an even more pressing problem for micro pig pet owners.
Weight loss for pigs involves much of the same activities you would use for weight loss or what you would do for another pet that needs to lose weight: Diet and exercise.
Feeding Your Pig on a Diet
What should your pig weigh? This is vital information because the amount of food you feed your pet on a diet should reflect their ideal weight and obviously not the weight they are now.
Generally speaking, you should feed your pig somewhere between 1 and 2 percent of their ideal body weight every day. Specifically speaking for a 70 kg pig, this would mean you should feed them 0.7 kg to 1.4 kg of food daily.
Keep in mind that 1 cup of food is about 0.22 kg. You should balance pig-specific pet food with fresh vegetables for the best results. Treats should be included in this calculation and you should break up larger meals into smaller meals throughout the day to keep your pig satisfied.
Get Your Pig Moving
Exercise can be difficult for overweight pigs. However, it’s important that you do what you can with your pig to further accelerate any weight loss for the best results.
Here are a few simple tips you may want to use as part of your routine:
- Spread Out Food – If a pig doesn’t have to work for their food, they aren’t moving as much as they could be. Spread the food out in multiple bowls throughout the home so your pet has to work for their food.
- Use a Treat Ball – There are many toy balls that leave room in the middle for treats. Get one of these and fill it with something nutritious to get your pig moving and give them the incentive to do so.
- Go on Walks – After your pig is harness trained, you can go on short walks several times each day or at least once daily to get your pig moving even more!
- Make Them Work for Treats – Don’t just give out treats. Instead, make your pig move for the treats by throwing them or using them as an incentive for another physical activity.
Supplements are Important for Weight Loss as Well!
Supplements are considered to be optional by many pet pig owners, but they aren’t. Rather, they’re an essential part of a healthy diet that promotes weight loss.
Here are the supplements that are most important for weight loss for your pet pig:
- Multivitamin, given once daily.
- Selenium/vitamin E supplement, given at least once per week.
- Vitamin E capsule, given once daily.
- Vitamin C capsule, given once daily.
Get Your Pig in Shape With Diet and Exercise
Your pig needs a healthy diet and regular physical activity to stay at an optimal weight. As an owner, it’s essential that you follow the tips above to ensure your pig stays happy and healthy for years to come.
The best part is that all of these tips are easy to implement. It’s just up to you to remain consistent and dedicated to your efforts.